Microphone is one of the best thing that is associated for us with crazy happy things. Ever since we had the early childhood birthdays we assume the microphone as the celebration announcing device. And did you know? The most of our purchasing decisions about Best Studio Microphones we make from the earliest memories. Think about it: when did you see the first microphone in your life? Probably it was your friend’s birthday party or the ceremony you were watching with your parents. Its all connected with the first.
But did our first decisions make us the most competent microphone users? We doubt so, because every microphone needs to be elite, useful and user-friendly. One might ask: Why do I need to spent hours for buying the perfect microphone, which I won’t even remember after 2 days. It’s ok, this post is gonna be the total guide and we start with WHY.
So why start with the WHY you ask. Every single organization which has a cause, which has a belief knows why is he doing that he’s doing. Because in that way one has the motivation, the drive in which he finds the perfect sense and feelings. If you are the kind of man or woman who loves to have a total control over the every aspect of the life, boy do we have a product for you.
Integrated with Personal Branding
The personal-branding is becoming more and more approved by the individuals. It means that everything you have starting with the toothbrush – defines who you are. People tend to purchase things that have best capabilities and are visually beautiful, because when someone sees what you are holding – in this case: microphone – he sees a man who has done the right or wrong choice unconsciously.
Make no mistake – this post is perfectly designed to help you decide which one is the best studio microphones depending on your current situation. The main key factors are: visual, hertz interaction, power duration and other roles depending on the circumstances.
Best Studio Microphones
The following passages will show you the roles of each factor and it might as well help for the final decision. We pick the three best studio microphones based on customers, manufacturers and technicians opinions. Nevertheless, we oversaw the statistics of birthday party centers and which microphones they had purchased over the past few years.
As the complete information suggests – These three products have the most prestigious results. Yes – You have guessed correctly – they do have their own advantages and disadvantages and we intend to make them “visible to the unarmed eye” for you. But don’t be pissed – There is no product that has 100% satisfied customers and microphones are not going to be the first ones.
We tried to demonstrate some situations that the best studio microphones might be useful but we have to underline one of the greatest experience of life – Karaoke! Yes Karaoke, the activity that we love so much – Now everyone wants to have some Gaming Consoles in their lives and you know you can attach Karaoke with them and happy part is – Microphones would be the big part of your lives so you need to have the right one.
Why Condenser is better than Dynamic
Many suggest that Dynamic is as good as Condenser when it comes to the diaphragm type, but we say it is not. Know the difference – Condensers can catch the acoustic waves better and is focus on to get you the best sound quality while the dynamic is able to handle louder sounds. It’s like the David and the Goliath – The one that has the ability to be the pure, clean and powerful and the one who has a big power but is less flexible. And we all know who got the win in that battle.
Secondly, just think – when was the last time you had to handle the loud sounds through microphone in your field? Some of the experts recommend to have both of types but it is just additional expense based on recent surveys. Most of the owners just have the 2 types of microphones – waiting for the RIGHT day, which may never come at all. So the choice is yours, but mind the situation where you are!
We all know that the frequency plays the major role in Acoustic World. You can make different choices when it comes to the frequency. Now, if we’re talking about the best studio microphones which has to deal with various operations and especially singing – you need to be extra careful.
Some of the organizations, studios have the multiple products for their customers, based on their voice tunes. Low pitched persons prefer the microphones with the strong frequencies, because they allow to tune up and to perform the best.
Do you remember the scenes from movies where in studios there are microphones and some charts, Equalizer and colorful lines that threw up and down as the singer sings the different parts of the song? Now thats what we are talking about. The more one becomes aware of the voice of the their owns voice, more significance charts and all informational stuff gain.
Pop Filters are also important ones – Let us remind they “guard” the microphones from unwanted, air-added waves which result in wrong tunes. So if you want to have the clean, pure waves you might as well consider pop filters role. Almost every best studio microphones have them in the bundle, but depending on customers desires some of the manufacturers leave that choice to them. That’s because some of the producers and sound experts have their rules and they don’t want to try something by risking new purchasing actions.
Ok lets be honest – As you have probably guessed without the right power source there’s no way one can achieve the desired results. Since we recommended the Condenser type microphones one must be aware of the fact that it requires the Power Source and not the Phantom Power – some of them might be useful but we strongly recommend to not to risk. We assume that making the best studio microphones purchase is not the one we do every day or once in month, so analyze it rationally and be prepared to meet the world with innovative devices.
Like the man said: Innovation is the drive of the new world. We innovate and every day is the potential new product announcing day. The goal is to be with this innovative part of the world. New products and especially microphones have new features and we will talk about them in a mean time.
One of the early advice is to limit your maximum Sound Pressure Level. It keeps the diaphragm less tensed and it gives the opportunity to excel the most beautiful wave lengths in a long-term. If you’re kind of owner that cares about his / her assets, then you need to Control the DB and SPL of the Microphones from the Day 1 and most importantly in the process of purchase.
Every Microphone has the Sensitivity element. Now before considering this factor ask yourself a question – what is like the ordinary mic recording situation? Imagine the place, acoustics, persons, voices and depending on that image choose wisely – for example if you’re studio is not completely secured or you need the microphone for some other stuff probably you are looking for less sensitive one. Because there are extremely sensitive ones – those which might record and even the shortest waves of the sounds – like noise from the other rooms.
Considering all of these information we had to be full-service, all in one experts so we decided to show you some of the best examples which might show you the theory we provided earlier integrated into the reality. Once again the information above was to determine your current situation and to share Experts-View about the world’s leading studio microphones from our side. But if it still wasn’t enough make a run on expanded info about microphone details.
Knowing your situation gives a hand to pick the top product, the one that completes your needs – When we have an appointment at doctors’, first he makes us to take tests – to set the correct diagnosis, based on the situation we have and then he gives us the prescription. Same is happening here. Now that we have the correct “diagnosis” it would be hell of an easier to identify the right product, which will be the long suited product for the top performing studio you have or might be dreaming of.
Audix SCX1-HC Microphone
And the first product we choose for our Best Studio Microphones is Audix SCX1-HC Microphone manufactured by USA-based Audix.
Established in 1984, Audix still sticks with its original mission: To create high-end audio products that will contribute to the development of the professional audio industry. Audix products distinguish from competitors with their design, performance, quality, durability and value.
The SCX1-HC Studio Condenser Microphone provides the best quality for vocal, instrumental and ambiance recordings. It is a hyper-cardioid microphone, which means that it has the most sensitivity at the front and the least sensitivity at the back. In other words, it will capture only singers or instruments voice while ignoring the back voice and unnecessary noises. Also, it is much more resistant to feedback than omnidirectional ones. Because of these qualities, Audix SCX1-HC Microphone is most suitable for studio and loud stage performances, where the crowd noise can negatively affect the sound.
- Hyper-cardioid Polar Pattern – as we’ve already mentioned, the hyper-cardioid pattern provides the best quality sound for studio and live performances.
- Modular Capsule Design – the best feature of the SCX1-HC microphone is the modular capsule design, which allows us to switch between capsules. We can always replace the hyper-cardioid capsule with omnidirectional and cardioid capsules which are sold separately. In fact, Audix SCX1-HC is a universal studio microphone you can use for virtually every kind of recording or performance.
- Surface Mount Technology provides a comfortable and compact profile for easy and quick placement.
- Applications: studio solo and group vocals, instrument recordings, speech, drums, orchestra, symphony, acoustic instruments, piano, live performances, etc.
- Extremely sensitivity with pin-point accuracy
- Designed, manufactured and tested in the USA
- 3-year warranty
I’ve been looking for a decent cardioid microphone for my drumkit. Finally, I found this fantastic microphone. It records the highest quality sound of my hi-hats ignoring the unneeded noise. After trying to record the voice with it I found that it is equally great for instrumental as well as voice recording. The built is featherweight but solid. You will immediately feel the quality and fine design once you have it. Totally recommend this mic!
This microphone is great for interviews and indoor dialogues; The sound is crystal clear.
Audix has provided the following accessories in the package:
- Foam Lined Wooden Case – CASEWOOD
- High-quality nylon molded snap-on clip – DCLIP
- External windscreen for reducing the noise coming from the wind, sibilance, etc
The tips for using Audix SCX1-HC in various applications:
As this world-class microphone has high sensitivity, the manufacturer doesn’t recommend using it at very close distances.
- For acoustic instruments: in general, the distance should range from 1 to 2 feet depending on the instrument
- Voice: minimum distance of 8 inches.
- For group vocals: the distance should range between 2-3 feet.
Keep in mind, that if you plug or unplug the microphone from the PA system while it is not muted or turned down you can damage the speakers, headphones or studio monitors.
- Transducer Type: Condenser
- Frequency Response : 40 Hz- 20 kHz
- Polar Pattern : Hyper-cardioid/Omni(optional)
- Dynamic Range: 116 dB
- Power Requirements: 48-52 V phantom
- Weight: 114g
Lewitt Reference Quality Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone (LCT-450)
Our next choice in best studio microphones is a model from Austria-based Lewitt.
Lewitt stands for high-performance microphones designed to deliver unique sound in every application.
The company officially commenced in 2010 and still has maintained the quality, innovativeness, and value. It operates its own plant in China and builds high-end microphones setting an industry standard.
LCT-450 provides clear and detailed sound with a high-class transient response with the help of ultra-thin, gold-layered diaphragm. It belongs to the cardioid polar pattern class microphones and guarantees fantastic front sound while ignoring the rear and back noises both on the stage and in studio environments.
- Natural and authentic sound with high-class transient response
- 1” diaphragm made of 3 microns gold-spluttered Mylar
- Cardioid polar pattern which guarantees rear noise ignorance
- Perfect for recording vocal, acoustic instruments, interviews, dialogues, drums, etc
- Light, yet solid build that speaks of its high quality
- Low-cut and attenuation feature guarantees that your microphone will adapt to every situation
- Auto Attenuation and clipping history will make your recording process super easy
- An Illuminated onboard interface will make it easy to handle LCT-450 in dark surroundings.
“The LCT 450 Really makes my bass sound great; it has a lot of finesse and body to it!” – Brandino, famous bass guitar player.
“It is unbelievably good for recording vocals and instrumental. I bought it for my mini home studio and have since been recording high-quality music as if I were in a professional studio. It is extremely simple to use and easy to adjust to your needs.
Pros: Clear and unique sound, Compact and light, solid-built, easy to operate, fine design.”
- Microphone Type: Cardioid Polar Pattern
- Frequency Range : 20Hz-20kHz
- Dynamic Range: 129 dB
- Diaphragm: 1” 3-micron gold-spluttered Mylar
- Connector type: 3-pin Gold plated XLR
- Microphone weight: 357g
- Manufacturer: Lewitt (Vienna, Austria)
- Country: China
- Warranty: 2-year limited warranty
AKG Pro Audio C214 Condenser Microphone
The final choice in our best studio microphones is a product by Austrian manufacturer AKG Acoustics. AKG Acoustics has been producing high-quality microphones and headsets for several decades. The Austrian company is known for high-end microphones which are used by the best artists and musicians in the world.
C214 is a professional cardioid type microphone designed to offer high-quality performance for all kinds of applications. It is considered to be a respectful alternative for an high-end C414 family made by the same AKG Acoustics. C414 doesn’t need any introduction as it is found in almost every recording studio where the world hits and singles have been recorded. C214, which is meant to be the cost-effective alternative for legendary C414 is the best suit vocal and instrumental recording and performance both on the stage in a studio. The one-inch capsule on an integrated suspension guarantees the minimum mechanical noise.
Besides the technical excellence, C214 distinguishes with its roadworthy build quality. Thanks to reliable components and advanced manufacturing processes, the C214 meets the highest industry standards. With its scratch-durable finish and solid body, AKG’s C214 microphone will last for ages.
The manufacturer provides C214 Condenser microphone in the package along with carrying case, windscreen, and spider-type shock mount.
- A worthy alternative to legendary C414 – The C214 is considered to be the cheaper alternative to industry leader C414 as it uses the same 1” dual-capsule as C414 in a single-diaphragm. That makes the performance extremely close to the C414’s.
- Incredible 143dB dynamic range and ultra-low noise
- Integrated capsule suspension will minimize all mechanical noise.
- Exclusive package that includes solid metal carrying case, windscreen, and a spider-type shock mount
- Extra Reliable body made completely of metal and scratch and shock-durable finish that guarantees that your microphone will endure severe handling for years.
- Suitable for virtually all kinds of applications: Studio and on-stage recording, Vocals, Instruments, Group recordings, etc.
- Gold-plated XLR 3-pin output connector ensures signal not to be lost during performances/recordings.
- The C214 has a switchable cut filter to reduce rumble and wind noise.
- Switchable 20dB attenuator and bass-cut filter for close-up recording and reducing the proximity effect
- Integrated suspension which reduces mechanical noise and stage vibrations
- Parts and labor warranty that cover 3 years of use
- The manufacturer has also provided in-depth instructions on how to use the microphone in different situations for different instruments or applications.
“Legendary sound, my voice has never sounded any better!”
“I’ve been working with AKG microphones for over a decade. All my scores and lives have the signature of AKG Acoustics. The definition of the depth of my drums, the weight of my bass drum, the brilliance of my snare drum, and the crystal-clear sound of my cymbals, are directly connected to the choice of my microphones. Regardless of the musical style, the sound of the drums is what really matters, and my sound is AKG.“ – Tony MacAlpine, Hangar, Noturnall
“It is nice both on electric and acoustic guitars. Works great in pair with a nice amplifier. A great buy!”
- Item Number: C214
- Manufacturer: AKG Acoustics
- Country: Austria
- Polar pattern: Cardioid
- Capsule: 1” Large Diaphragm Condenser
- Frequency range: 20Hz-20kHz
- Dynamic range: 123/143dB-A
- Low-Cut filter: 160Hz, 6dB per Octave, Switchable interface
- Attenuation Pad: Switchable, 20dB
- Phantom Power: 12 to 52 V
- Weight: 280g
- Included accessories: Spider-type shock mount, windscreen, metal case