In the article we will review some of the best mechanic tool sets manufactured by the top brands on the market: Craftsman, DeWalt and Kobalt.
Before we start reviewing and comparing the best mechanic tool set on the market, I should say that modern tool sets have diverse and different features. You can use them to repair your minivan, old bike, home appliances, etc. Today, a decent mechanic tool set along with automotive diagnostic scanner enables any amateur to diagnose and repair their machines on their own.
1.1 Craftsman 311-Piece – What’s in the box?
First of all, let’s see what has manufacturer put into the box.
Craftsman offers 311-piece to help yourself with some work you do daily – might be a home improvement,car-repairing process or setting up your chicken coop. It’s a generous Set which includes ratchets, with it’s thinner profile head and 75-tooth design, which means the customer only requires a 4.8-degree ratcheting arc to professionally do its job with less power. There’s also a full set of metric and standard combination of wrenches, hex keys and a handy nut-driver that includes 10 screwdriver bits and 12 nut-driver bits.
To make it clear these are the main tools and quantities in this tool set:
Also, for even more comprehensive information, you can check the full list of tools here.
As you see, Craftsman provides all kinds of tools you may need during repairs, so you won’t have to visit your neighbor for a pair of ratchets or nut-drivers, as you will surely have a bunch of them!
1.2 DEWALT DWMT75049 – What’s in the box?
Even though, DeWalt provides a modest number of 192 tools, they are more than enough for any kinds of works even for professionals.
To make sure, that this one of the best mechanic tool set will satisfy all your needs, look through the full list of tools in the box:
- 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 in Drive Pear Head Ratchet.
- 1/4 in Drive 6pt sockets: SAE 5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, Metric 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14.
- 1/4 in Drive, 6 pt deep sockets: SAE 5/32, 3/16, 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, Metric 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14.
- 1/4 in Drive Extensions: 3, 6, 10 in.
- 1/4 in x 3/8 in Increasing Adapter, 1/4 in Drive Universal Joint.
- 3/8 in Drive 6pt sockets: SAE 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, Metric 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ,19, 21.
- 3/8 in Drive, 6 pt deep sockets: SAE 1/4, 15/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, Metric 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21.
- 3/8 in Drive Extensions: 3, 6, 10.
- 3/8 in x 1/4 in Reducing Adapter, 3/8 in Universal Joint.
- 3/8 in Drive Spark Plug Socket 5/8 in, 3/8 in Drive Spark Plug Socket 3/4 in, 3/8 in Drive Spark Plug Socket 13/16.
- 3/8 in Drive hex bit sockets: 5/32, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, metric, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
- 3/8 in Drive torx bit sockets: T10, T15, T20, T25, T27, T30, T40, T45.
- 1/2 in Drive 6pt sockets: 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, 15/16, 1, Metric, 13-19, 21, 22, 24.
- 1/2 in Drive, 6pt deep sockets: SAE 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, 15/16, 1, Metric 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 24.
- 1/2 in Drive Extensions: 2.5, 5, 10.
- 1/2 in Drive Universal Joint, 1/2 in to 3/8 in Drive Adapter.
- 14-piece standard hex key set.
Sockets Both in Standard and metric
Besides, the manufacturer has provided sockets in both, metric and standard modes. High-quality ratchets and wrenches are totally worth to purchase. This set provides you with every tool you may need when repairing a vehicle or other electronic or mechanic device: from disassembling a car motor with wrenches and ratchets to changing a spark plug with special sockets.
I think that this list speaks of itself – DeWalt DWMT75049 is a universal tool set for professionals and amateurs.
1.3 Kobalt 227-Piece Tool Set – What’s in the box?
32 Pounds tools set contains all the necessary tools, including wrenches, pliers, 3 ratchets, 4 extensions, 117 6pt and 12pt sockets, 40 hex keys and 33 assorted tools for a professional automotive technician as well as for amateur home garage owners.
The manufacturer includes a plastic case to store every tool in it but the case and the tools are delivered separately in bags after the purchase and you will have to put the tools into the bag yourself. But it is not an issue considering the value you’re acquiring while buying this quality product.
The case and the tools are extremely user-friendly. They are color-coded in a way that makes identification of sizes and types between standard and metric sizes quite simple. The red band on the socket means that the tools are of standard size and the blue one mean metric.
This tool set also provides you with 24 wrenches (both metric and standard), ratchets, drivers, bits and hex keys for all tastes. But that’s not nearly all – manufacturer also included magnetic bit driver, ¼# driver, two hex sets and hex screwdrivers along with the nut driver bits.
To sum up, one of the best mechanic tool set by Kobalt can make you forget the ugly consequences of improvisation caused by tools shortage, by providing a wide variety of high-quality tools
A Whole bunch of 227 tools is made of fully polished chrome and area available both in SAE (red) and Metric (Blue) for easy identification.
This set is the right thing for you if you constantly fall short of necessary tools for your jobs.
2. Manufacturer – Best Mechanic Tool Set
Craftsman is an American brand with almost 90 years of experience. It may be the only fact but it still means something – in 2007 Craftsman was named “America’s Most Trusted Brand” and simply shows the determination and commitment of brand’s corporate values.
Now that’s an investment in tools that can last you a lifetime, especially with an awesome Craftsman warranty.
It provides every single combination starting from standard to the metric so you don’t have to waste your time looking for the right tool. Time is a valuable factor these days and working tools will totally save it for you.
In that case, if you read The Craftsman 311-piece best mechanic tool set review the most customers suggest it’s the brand that saves you time because of its’ flexibility.
The toolset itself is made in DeWalt owned factory in Taiwan. The whole manufacturing process, production standards, and quality testing complies to the USA protocol and administration. Every single tool in this set comes with the full lifetime unlimited warranty, which means that manufacturer will replace broken and defective tools at no cost. The exception goes for the stolen, lost or damaged (due to improper use) tools. Dewalt has been manufacturing the best mechanic tool set for decades and has gained a reputation of the best company on the market.
Kobalt power tools and hand tools are premium quality tools for professionals and amateurs. They are made with top quality manufacturing standards and are used in all kinds of works.
“Intelligently designed and engineered for serious, high-stakes projects, Kobalt tools are built to take on-the-job punishment while delivering dependable, impressive results. Kobalt tools are easy to use and made with precision craftsmanship and the level of fit, finish, and detail that changes your expectation of how tools should work” – Says the official website.
3. User Reviews – Best Mechanic Tool Set
3.1 Craftsman 311-Piece
One thing customers complain about is the heaviness but to be fair – it is a metal, not plastic. Most of the customer reviews are five stars and they are happy with the complete set. Appears it is a perfect son-to-dad and dad-to-son gifts.
Great looks, great weight, great feel & great value. I bought this set to add to my crew truck and have been so impressed with the overall quality. Even the hands are making the extra effort to keep up with them and that says it all! – one of many trusted reviews.
“I bought this tool set with an extreme caution as my previous experience with such tool sets has left me disappointed and utterly critical, partially from the product’s quality and for a bigger part from the poor customer service and warranty. However, this set has never ceased to amaze me since the day of its delivery. The delivery process itself was smooth and quick without any major problems. The set itself is perfect and totally enough for a car’s mechanic. All the wrenches, ratchets and other tools are high-quality built and comfortable to use.”
3.2 DEWALT DWMT75049
“For a person working with mechanic tools 40 hours a week, this tool set provides a comfort and easiness in handling them. I can easily identify the sizes of the tools as they are provided both metric and standard. All the tools exceeded my expectations considering the low price. As I work in an automotive garage, me and my technician friends carefully examined the quality of the product. None of them had anything negative to say about a thing and some of them even ordered them online. I rate this product with 5 stars as it not only satisfied, but even exceeded my needs and expectations.”
3.3 Kobalt 227-Piece Standard/Metric Mechanics Tool Set with Case 85183
“Bought It a year ago and since have been using it intensely almost every day. Have to admit it is the best tool set yet I have come across as an auto technician. I am able to do all kinds of jobs without going to a store to buy a new socket or wrench. I recently transferred the tools in another case as the original one broke for independent reasons. With this tool set I replaced the engines on many vehicles, disassembled transmissions and done countless other small jobs. And don’t forget the lifetime unlimited warranty. Though, I don’t need any yet, company will change broken parts for free in case of necessity.”
4. Key Features – Best Mechanic Tool Set
4.1 Craftsman 311-Piece
Some of the Key Product Features are:
- Mechanic’s Tool Set contains Metric and Standard Tools.
- Sockets – made to fit three 75-Tooth Full Polish Ratchets: 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2-in Drive.
- 182 drive sockets, 3 quick-release ratchets, 6 ext bars, 4 spark plug sockets, 67 specialty tools.
- 15-bit sockets, inch, and metric sockets; 34 wrenches, including 14 ratcheting wrenches.
- Tools come with a lifetime warranty.
4.2 DEWALT DWMT75049
There is no doubt – Dewalt is one of the best manufacturer company. For the best, we think you might be interested in analyzing The DEWALT DWMT75049 192pc Mechanics Tool Set Reviews. To be Brief –
Key Features Are:
- Deep laser etched markings for easy socket size identification
- 5 Degree arc swing and slim head design
- 72 Tooth gear system for high torque ratcheting
- Low profile directional lever
- Easy one-hand operation
4.3 Kobalt 227-Piece Standard/Metric Mechanics Tool Set with Case 85183
Some of the Key Features:
- 227 Tools including wrenches, ratchets, hex keys, nut driver bits and even more.
- A high-quality plastic case for comfortable transportation and protection against rust/corrosion.
- All the tools are provided in standard and metric sizes.
- The tools – constructed of chrome vanadium steel for improved strength and performance.
- Contains 117 6pt and 12pt sockets, 3 ratchets, 30 combination wrenches along with 4 extensions and 33 assorted tools.
- Laser-etched size marks help you distinguish between SAE (red) and Metric (blue) for sockets and wrenches.
- Ratchets, equipped with a quick-release button allows an owner to quickly change between sockets and accessories.
5. Comparison Chart – Best Mechanic Tool Set
6. Verdict – Best Mechanic Tool Set
You should never start a job without a complete set of tools because you know the one that you’re missing is the one that you’re going to need to finish the job. You can save a whole lot of time and money by not having to keep going back to the store every time you need to get that missing socket or wrench. This set has just about every single metric and standard socket and wrench you’re ever going to need. Since we primarily use hand tools, this set allows us to finish the job without missing a tool.